Thursday, August 12, 2010

Off to Chemo #17!

Tomorrow will mark Chemo #17! Unbelievable, it seems. I can’t help but look forward to it with anticipation since each chemo day brings me closer to the end of the chemo phase. I am looking forward to my hair returning; to the end of the chronic sore throat; to the end of the nose bleeds; to getting some energy back; to not worrying about my blood pressure rising and just the general feeling of chemicals running through my veins. On the one hand, it will feel so freeing to put this phase behind me in a few weeks (fingers crossed!), and at the same time, there is a safety in knowing that each week I get more chemo, the fight continues. I know that switching to hormone therapy will continue the fight, but to a lesser degree – it won’t be the “big guns” that come with chemo. However, I am feeling great about moving on to the next phase and feeling really positively that as I move forward, I am one step closer to being cancer-free.

Last week, we had the opportunity to meet with an expert in chinese medicine. She is going to put together a recommended treatment plan for me using chinese herbs to support each process of my treatment. I am looking forward to learning more about this and in attacking cancer while supporting my body’s own ability to heal itself.

I continue to feel blessed to have so much support from my family and friends. I am well aware that this is a long haul and it is difficult to sustain such support over such a long period of time. I do really appreciate everyone hanging in there with me – it truly helps me in keeping my focus enjoying each day as well as encourages me to continue fighting to eliminate cancer from my body.

My dear husband has walked this path with me with such tremendous love and patience sitting through endless hours of chemo by my side as well as every doctors appointment. I feel so fortunate to have him as my partner in this fight. Truly, for better or worse, in sickness and in health – the vows of marriage are tested during times like these and you learn just how strong your commitment is.

Our boys continue to entertain. Yesterday, when given the choice of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or smoked herring on rye rycrisp crackers, they both hands down chose the herring and rycrisp, setting aside the sandwiches. Crazy for a 2 and 4.5 year old. And so, I had to find another afternoon snack for myself. Ah well.

On a more medically related note, one of the drugs I get for chemo is called Avastin. Avastin is an anti – angiogenesis biologic. Essentially, as cancer grows, it sends out signals to the body to provide it with new blood supply by growing new blood vessels to support the cancer. Avastin prevents the growth of these new blood vessels, thus starving the cancer and preventing it from growing. Avastin was approved by the FDA for treatment of metastatic breast cancer, as well as other cancers a few years ago. My understanding is that it was thought to be so effective, the FDA shortened the approval process. Recently in the news, the FDA has been reported to be considering pulling its approval for the treatment of metastatic breast cancer. If this happens, it will make it difficult, if not impossible, for people with diagnoses similar to mine to be treated with Avastin. Though I am certainly not privy to all of the thought process behind this turn of events, I can’t help but think that this could be tragic for other cancer patients. What I do know is that a single dose of Avastin has a cost of $14,000+. My Avastin is paid for by the clinical trial I am a part of. However, for other patients who are not in a clinical trial, their insurance companies have to pick up that cost. It would seem obvious that the insurance companies have a vested interest in Avastin no longer being utilized for the treatment of breast cancer since this would reduce their financial liability. Prior to removing the approval of Avastin for the treatment of breast cancer, I would hope that the FDA would solidly analyze the benefits to patients and their quality of life prior to taking away its approval. If you would like to send a message to the FDA discouraging their removing Avastin as an approved breast cancer treatment, you can do so here:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/3//stop-the-fda-from-disproving-avastin-to-treat-metastatic-breast-cancer

Thanks so much! Wishing everyone a healthy week

No comments:

Post a Comment