So, the reason it has taken me so long to post again is that I’ve bounced back and have been feeling amazingly good!!! So, I've been busy living! It is truly incredible to witness and feel the body’s ability to regain strength after feeling so awful. I feel so blessed to have had the last few months to recover and enjoy my health.
However, as can be the case, my PET/CT scan last week had some good news and some not so great news. The good news is that there was some stability in some areas and some areas have gone away or are being super quiet. Yay! The not so great news is that the liver spots are still living it up in there and adding a few friends, while trying to inflate themselves. This is not so good. I need those guys to quiet down or get OUT!
So, today I have my first infusion of a chemotherapy called Abraxane. It’s a relative of Taxol, which was my very first chemo almost 4 years ago. It’s considered to be easier for the body to process because it is connected to a protein, rather than a solvent (which is the case with Taxol). The good thing is that there are no premedications (Taxol requires Benadryl, Dexamethazone, and Zofran for nausea). Abraxane isn’t supposed to cause nausea (yay!). So, I am hoping that with this chemo, I will get the benefits of how brilliantly Taxol worked, without the unpleasant part. They do expect that I will lose my hair yet again. But hey, the third time is the charm, right?
I’m not really concerned about my hair leaving except that it is really hard on my kids. They don’t like it at all. So, that part is hard. And I don’t know if I’ll do hats or a wig this time. I’ve done both and wigs kind of let you get by in public without people knowing, but they are less comfortable than just throwing on a hat. So, we'll see.
I mentioned in my last post about my Chinese herbs. I’ve been doing them for almost two months now and have to say that I love them. It’s a bit of work to boil them up just about every day, but it feels healing and it is a nice way to do something for myself that way since I am not at all culinary. My oncologist was amazed at how quickly and how well I bounced back. I think she thought I felt badly because of the disease, but that isn’t at all the case. I have no pain and no issues related to the disease. It’s the treatment that causes me problems! I think the Chinese herbs contributed to my ability to bounce back. I mean I walked over three miles just a few days ago. Not bad!
This whole process is an emotional roller coaster. I am still learning to live in the moment, to appreciate the small stuff, to love the people in my life so dearly that it brings tears to my eyes, and to know in my heart that life is such a tremendous gift.
My plan (planner that I am) is to be here a long, long time. As my Chinese herbs doctor says, this is a chronic disease and getting it under control is the key. I’m working on getting it under control with many prayers, western medicine, Chinese herbs, acupuncture, reiki, counseling, green juice (thank you Monika!!) lots of walking out in the fresh air, music, inspirations, positive thinking, and most of all, the love of my dear family and friends. I am blessed to have you all in my life. Again, when you think of me, envision me in perfect health. Thank you for all your support. This thanksgiving, I am deeply, deeply thankful for all that I am blessed with.
I hope you are as well. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
I miss you. I love you. You were simply . . . the best.
ReplyDelete-Joe Ochoa