Thursday, October 14, 2010

Scan Results – well, kind of…

So, Tuesday, I had my PET/CT. I think that was my 6th one – not that I’m counting. The scan process has become rather routine. Injection with radioactive glucose and then the snooze in the tube. My mom was here and waiting for me. The tech guy running the machine told me he’d go get my “friend”. Every time prior, they’d presumed she was my mom. I think my gray hair threw them off…

Anyhow, after the scan, my mom, Marchus, the boys and I went out for sushi which was a special treat. It made the scan less of a big deal to have it be only part of our day’s plans. That afternoon, Adam and I were in line at Peet’s coffee. Adam told the woman in line in front of us that his Grammy was visiting and brought her dog. The woman looks at me and asks me if the dog came on the plane…. She assumed that I was Adam’s Grandmother! That’s twice in one day, maybe it was because I was radioactive, but I think it was the gray - which made for some good conversation… And then the waiting began yesterday morning.

Waiting for the phone to ring is unpleasant no matter how you slice it. It makes you feel anxious and stressed when you are waiting for news that could determine the path your life might take. Waiting all day and into the next is, well, brutal. You go through so many thoughts and scenarios in your head, each one trumping the last one and you can’t discuss it because you know you are being crazy. So, you wait.

Finally, at 2:10pm today, the email came through. My scan showed no activity in my bones *YAY*, there was no increase in size of anything *YAY* *YAY*, there was increased metabolic activity in the breast mass and the lymphnodes *HMMMM*. Of course, the neither the report nor the brief email from my doctor explained the significance of these results or the expectations they were hoping for and whether this met those expectations. So, I was left with more questions. Upon further inquiry with my doctor, as well as the synchronicity of my sister being on the sidelines of the soccer field with her friend who is both a breast cancer survivor, a doctor, and married to an oncologist, some clarity began to emerge.

So, my understanding at this point is that it is GREAT that there is no activity in my bones and no spread of disease since I stopped chemo. Some increase in metabolic activity is to be expected since it is no longer being suppressed by the chemo. So, all good news, I think.

I will find out more after the Tumor Board reviews the situation again on Monday. What I am hoping is that my doctor calls me with a surgery date so that I can get this stuff out of my body and get those new boobs I’ve been promised.

Thank you everyone for hanging in there with me and sending me your good wishes through these stressful few days. As always, this cancer ride is a roller coaster. But we’re hanging on tightly and heading through the next few loops to get to the finish line…. Meanwhile, I am debating the pros and cons of dyeing my hair… any thoughts???

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julianne! This is so CRUEL to you! Giving results whithout explainig what it says is realy low... A good thing that you have your sisters friends to explain it for you, for now! But it should`nt be like that! Anyway about your hair... I think you are BEAUTIFUL. But how do you feel about your hair? It it your own feelengs that is important, not what anyone else must think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi julianne- indeed it does sound like Great News! Thank God! Congratulations on the results and on making it through that difficult waiting period. You are a star!
    As for the hair...the fact is, it is beautiful and you look beautiful with it. Just think of those grandma comments as comic relief.
    xomelinda

    ReplyDelete