Wednesday, February 16, 2011

In the Glow...

Today marks the completion of radiation dose 16 of 25. Only 9 more to go! Woo-hoo! So far, so good. My radiation oncologist says I am doing well. My skin is starting to turn pink, but they've given me some *magic* cream that reduces the burn a bit. It was amazing to go to sleep with a bit of a burn last night and wake up to it being normal again. Hopefully, that will continue happen. I'm really surprised at how fast radiation is going - I'll be done really soon!

Going to radiation every day has been pretty good, despite the 100 mile drive round trip. I have really enjoyed having company every day! The journey have been filled with wonderful conversations with my travel companions. So far, my mom, my dad, my neighbor Melinda, my friend Connie, my sister-in-law Monique, my aunt and my husband and kids have all joined me on the Radiation Road Trips. I have truly enjoyed the time with each of them and am so thankful for the efforts they've made to go with me! Thank you guys so much!!! Next week, my cousin Suzanne is coming and then my mom is coming back for the last few days the following week. Then I'm DONE!!

A few people have asked me what radiation feels like and, well, it doesn't feel like anything. All you do is lie on a table while the technicians adjust your position. Then they all leave the room and the machine above you hums as the radiation is directed to specific parts of your body. The machine moves around you to different positions, stopping and humming for a few seconds each time. You feel nothing at all. Most of the experience is in your head while you lie still, recognizing that you're being zapped with something that damages your cancer cells. It takes all of about 30 - 45 minutes (sometimes even less), and then you are free to go about your day - which has involved wonderful lunches, shopping, museum visits, and taking the scenic route home. After going through chemo and surgery, radiation is pretty easy, and as strange as it sounds, I've really enjoyed this time to connect with people I love.

On monday, I had an infusion of Zometa to build my bones, a shot in the stomach of Zoladex for ovary surpression, and two shots in the muscle of my lower back/butt of Faslodex for hormone therapy. Oh, the joy of all of those needles! It should be my last shot in the stomach of Zoladex because I'm having my ovaries removed on March 16, so the shots won't be needed anymore. I have been having all of the fun of hot flashes associated with menopause - which is great when you're cold, not so great if you're already hot. Dressing in layers is key. Despite all of this, I am feeling good (apart from a sore butt) and am feeling so fortunate that all of these treatments are available to fight this disease and make me healthy again.

Today marks one year since I got the phone call, as I sat on the beach with my family in Mexico, that my doctor needed to see me right away - the cancer diagnosis quickly followed. What a year it has been since that day - truly an emotional, physical and mental rollercoaster for me, my husband and my family and friends who have shown me such tremendous support and love. In many ways, there have been some amazing blessings that have come out of this experience - I can't even begin to list them, there are so many. Most of all, I am blessed to know how very fortunate I am to have so much love in my life - if there is one, perhaps that is the gift of cancer...

1 comment:

  1. You inspire me with your positive words Julianne. I understand what you mean about the gift of cancer, the blessing of close support and love of family and friends. To know you are so loved. Thinking of you as always your fellow fighter Emma x

    ReplyDelete