Thursday, March 3, 2011

Feeling Crispy!

I'm thrilled to report that I completed my 25 rounds of radiation yesterday! They even gave me a certificate of completion that all of the technicians that did my radiation signed with sweet messages to me. It's kind of like final exams in that it takes awhile for it to sink in... and it hasn't really yet. My skin is a nice leathery brown where it was radiated. My radiation oncologist told me that in a few weeks it will return to normal. Meanwhile, I am well equiped with healing creams and lotions. Honestly, now that I'm done with it, I can say that it's not so bad. :)

It has been really great to be able to tap into my dad's incredible knowledge about radiation therapy. He has given me great confidence in this process. I never knew that all of my dad's brilliance, hard work and research would benefit me so directly. I am so thankful to him and others who dedicated their life's work to eradicating cancer.

I have been so fortunate to have had my aunt Marilyn and cousin Suzanne here the last two weeks - each of them joined me for a week of daily pilgramages to radiation. We mixed it up with lunches, shopping and some nice walks along San Francisco bay, and taking the scenic route home. Really, it's been wonderful to have this time with the people I love. My dear mother-in-law Monika and her friend Peggy spent the day with me on Monday which was lovely as well. My mom came back to join me for my last couple of days and truly pampered me today - my first day without radiation - with shopping, mani/pedi, and a trip to the salon to tame my unruly hair. I'm exhausted from having such a good time. Big thank yous to all you ladies for the joy you've brought me these last few weeks. And a BIG thank you to my husband for indulging me with the revolving door of visitors. He's been awesome cooking for everyone and welcoming everyone into our home.

To truly put a punctuation mark on this triathelon of treatment, my mom is sending me and my family to Hawaii for a week of recovery! We leave tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn. I really can't wait to feel the sand between my toes and feel that balmy breeze. I think it will be a great opportunity for us to rest, relax and enjoy one another. We are SO thankful to have this time. Thanks Mom! I think every cancer patient deserves a really nice break when they are done to cap it off properly.

The wednesday after we get back, I'll have my ovary removal surgery which is to reduce the amount of estrogen in my body since my cancer is fed by estrogen. It is serendipitous that my ovary surgery is on March 16 since I started chemo last year on March 16. I like when things work out so cleanly - like bookends to the year of treatment. After that, I will have another scan in April and hopefully only need maintenance of Faslodex (to prevent any estrogen binding to any remaining cancer cells) and Zometa (to strengthen my bones). That would be ideal!

I'd like to take a moment to remember Marchus's grandmother Doreen, who passed away last sunday at the age of 98. Her kindness and positive attitude were ever-present and she inspired me with her strength and thoughtfulness. She will be dearly missed by everyone in Marchus's family.

2 comments:

  1. My condolances to Marchus and you for the loss of his gradmother, and gratulations to you for finaly beeng done with radiation! You have reached one more step ahead now, Julianne! Enjoy Hawaii and your family. You have SO deserved it:-) Lots of hugs from Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great entry! Congratulations on such amazing and brave work. I am often taken a back and how you have held up and floated through such a tough year. Amazing. Just reading it all now and knowing you are enjoying the beautiful water in Hawaii make me happy.

    Love, Michelle

    ReplyDelete