Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Happy Dance!!!

I had my PET/CT scan on Friday. We then got to endure the grueling weekend of waiting for the report. My oncology nurse finally called mid-day yesterday with the news that the lymphnodes that showed up on the prior scan are smaller and not lighting up anymore, my bones appear to be healing and that there is NO ACTIVE CANCER in my body!!! Woo-Hoo!!! I found myself bursting into happy tears for the rest of the day, and still am adjusting to this tremendously FANTASTIC news. Marchus and I went out to dinner last night to celebrate! We realized we hadn’t been out for a date night since Marchus' birthday in early December. It was a wonderful evening with us both giddy with happiness. 

It is taking awhile for this news to sink in. We’ve been in fighting mode and feeling as if the ground underneath us was unstable for the last 14 months. Having been diagnosed as Stage IV - the possibility that I could be cancer - free seemed at times, unreachable. I am so happy to report that it is possible to come back from a Stage IV diagnosis to having no active cancer. This should give hope to many, many people battling this disease. It is possible. I did it!!!

Of course, in anticipation of the scan and waiting for the results, our minds were reeling through all of the possibilities of what it could have shown. To get this report is truly such a gift to us and our families. At the same time, we are mindful that although the cancer has retreated, we will always be on alert and fighting it through hormone therapy indefinitely. Still, this is the best that could be imagined and we are walking on air.

We’re meeting with my oncologist on Friday, who I’m sure will provide us with more information and some kind of reality check on what we can anticipate in the future. I’m hoping that she doesn’t burst my bubble too much. In the meanwhile, I will bask in the glow of knowing that my body is healthier than it has been in years and enjoy putting my worries and fears up on the shelf.

Thank you to all who have prayed, sent healthy thoughts my way and have been supporting me through this journey. You have significantly contributed to my success! The journey isn’t over, but hopefully, the hard part is complete and it will be smooth sailing from here on. I'll keep posting!

2 comments:

  1. YIPPPPPEEEE!!!!! I just KNEW this day would come!
    My heart is bursting with gratitude!
    With love and joy, Your Mom XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. FANTASTIC!!!! WOW! This is greate news!!!!!!! We are SO happy for you, Julianne!! Congratulations!!! Yeah!! Lots of hugs from Arnt and me:-) Ida

    ReplyDelete