So, we met with my oncologist and discussed a whole load of choices. Who knew there were so many treatment options?! She said that we wouldn't run out of options, it's more what each person's body can handle - which was good news to me cuz I'm planning on keeping my body healthy and strong!
So, after much discussion, I began on a clinical trial of Eribulin (which is fairly new and comes from sea sponges) and Cytoxan (which has been around for decades). Basically, I get both one week, Eribulin only the next week and then a week off. Then repeat. I'll have a scan in early September to check on how it's going (around the same time as my brain MRI. We started last Tuesday, and it knocked me down a bit for a few days, but my strength is gradually rebounding and I'm happy about that - elated actually! The fear and anxiety of how any new treatment will affect me is probably almost as bad as the treatment itself. Maybe someday I'll get used to it and be more able to roll with all the unknowns, but for now it makes me into a total stress case.
I'm lucky to be treated at UCSF and be involved in clinical trials. These are not the trials where they just throw stuff at you and see if it works. These are more set up for data collection for drugs or drug combinations that they have shown to be effective, but just need a broader statistical basis to qualify for FDA approval, which is a long, arduous process. So, it's great to have the opportunity to participate in cutting edge medical treatment. I'm banking on being a further reflection of their prior success. :)
Otherwise, we had an incredible celebration of my sister-in-law's and my birthday, as well as my in-laws 50th anniversary last weekend. It felt amazing to me to be surrounded by the love of my family and my dearest friends. It truly buoyed my spirits in a way I didn't expect. I can't thank everyone enough for such an incredible experience. I haven't danced that much since our wedding!!
After chemo this week, I'll get to spend some time with my mom, sister, niece and nephew and road trip it down to Southern California, where the boys and I will spend some time at the beach with my dad and Beth, my cousin and her family. Should be a great way to round out the summer with some relaxing family time.
Despite the roller coaster of the last two weeks (which feels like years), I know every day that I am so fortunate to live the life I live... I am learning more and more how to appreciate each moment, and as cliche as all this may sound, I am blessed to have my eyes opened to the beauty and love that greets us with each new day. Enjoy it!!!
I love your inspiration girlfriend! Your messages are good for all of us to reflect on the value and preciousness of our lives and those we love! I'm really glad you've got the cutting edge UCSF treatment too! And boy that Birthday party was a blast - definitely a summer highlight and so nice to get to dance with you! :-) Hope your family trip was enjoyable. More summer fun wished for you and your family!! Giant hugs,
ReplyDelete