Monday, June 14, 2010

Chemo #10 – Ebb and Flow

Friday began cycle number 4 and chemo #10. Wow. It’s hard to believe I’ve been doing this long enough to get to this point – and at the same time, it feels like this has been part of my life for an inordinate amount of time. I am reminded that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Along those lines, I signed up for Relay for Life – a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society on July 24. I’m looking forward to participating and supporting other cancer survivors and families affected by cancer. You can support me in this effort at:
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY10CA?px=17108793&pg=personal&fr_id=20475&fl=en_US&et=zkmKzUeTpD8p0v5MB0YiTg..&s_tafId=408397

The support I have already received from my family and friends in participating in this race touches my soul and warms my heart. Thank you so much!!! It is with your love and support that I, and others like me, will be cured.

So, part of being inspired to join this wonderful fundraiser is selfish – no doubt about it. This journey is a long one and has many uncertainties along the way. I like having my plans in my calendar that I can firmly look forward to. Since my treatment is, at this point, relatively uncertain in terms of dates and process, I needed to nail down something to look forward to and plan on. This fundraiser serves to do this along with providing me and others with hope and faith in the future.

Chemo #10 hit me harder than the last few have. I’m presuming that’s because my body is hard at work to get rid of the cancer. I needed a day of lying around yesterday and have had some bone aches as my bone marrow races to produce more white blood cells to replace the ones affected by the chemo. That’s the ebb and flow of chemo – some days you are great and other days, well, you’re a cancer patient. Today, I’m back to being me again… Much better. My tremendous husband, children, family and friends have kept my spirits buoyed through it all. I can’t thank you all enough. Truly, I am so blessed.

In the shorter term, now is the time for everyone to jump back into saying BIG prayers and positive affirmations and sending healthy and healing thoughts out into the universe for my being cancer–free. We are (*hopefully*) nearing the end of the chemo phase. My PET/CT scan and breast MRI are scheduled for June 30. So, I have two more chemo infusions between now and then – Friday the 18th and 25th. Even though this is a marathon, now is a sprint to be as healthy and cancer–free as possible by June 30 – to really knock everything out as much as possible so that firmer plans can be made for the next steps in my treatment. Who’s with me???!!! Let’s DO IT!!! I want to plan my “CURE PARTY!!”

With all my love and heartfelt thanks.

2 comments:

  1. I am in! You can write me down for your CURE PARTY! I hope (and praying) it will be soon!!! I cant think of eny better thing to do than going to a party celebrating you health, and I mean it! Sending you happy, strong thoghs from Norway to you. Lots of love from Ida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julianne- I continue to be in awe of your strength, grace, and positive attitude. Somehow, through all the challenges you are facing, you emit a beauty that quite literally takes my breath away every time I see you. The Cooke family is praying for you every single day. We also can't wait to be part of the CURE PARTY!
    xoxomelinda

    ReplyDelete