Yesterday, I got my TWELFTH chemo infusion - marking the end of cycle #4. We got the nurse who saved us last week and brought him some cookies as a thank you. :) Having a nurse who knows how to treat you specifically is really helpful - no need to explain everything or debate what the best approach is. He already knew the drill. The steroids they give me as premeds before the chemo make it difficult to fall asleep the night after chemo. So, I struggled to finally fall asleep at around 2:30am despite feeling tired. Not a great way to start the weekend when I know the fatigue from the chemo is going to creep up quickly for a few days. My plan is to take an afternoon nap when the kids have their nap/quiet time this afternoon. Hopefully that will help a little bit.
Meeting with my oncologist yesterday felt really good. She seems really positive about my progress and although we won't know anything definitive about what's going on inside my body until we get the PET/CT scan and MRI results - the tests are scheduled for THIS WEDNESDAY - she felt I was doing well, and continued to talk about surgery as the next step. I'm trying to keep an open mind and recognize that if I need more chemo, that's fine too. As long as I am in treatment that is making be better, it is easy to keep a positive attitude about it. Having said that, I can't help but have high expectations for the scan results. My hope is that they show no metabolic activity in my bones and lymphnodes and minimal to no metabolic rate in my breast. Please keep those thoughts as the goal when you pray/think of me and my scans this week.
I'm not sure I have mentioned it, but I have continued to work my regular work schedule since starting chemo - except for the days off to go to medical appointments and chemo. This, along with my kids, husband and tasks in keeping our home running smoothly, has helped me not have too much time to dwell on the whole "cancer diagnosis". I know some people choose to stay home through their chemo treatment - for me, that wasn't really an option - both economically as well as sanity wise. My work folks have been tremendously supportive and understanding - which helps a lot. That's not to say that the demands on me at work have reduced, they haven't. But having those responsibilities and committments also give me a sense that things are normal and as they should be.
My family also helps me keep my perspective. Next week, Adam is moving up to his Pre-Kindergarten class. He's really excited about it and we've talked about it a lot. He asked if Matthew could come see his classroom when we go for his first day. I said, of course, he always comes with us when we take you to class. Adam said, "Oh good, mommy. He will be SO impressed." "Impressed"? Jeez, he's only 4. What a vocabulary! Very cute. Matthew is truly becoming a two year old. His vocabulary grows every day and although sometimes he's not as articulate as he'd like to be, he can usually get his point across. He is all about the cars in the "Cars" movie - even though he hasn't seen it yet. He knows all of their names and loves to tell us that they are "fasssstttt". Marchus has been enjoying the World Cup soccer games this week - those games have sure had some great sporting moments. The boys are just starting to have an appreciation for soccer - now we have to temper their zeal for kicking balls around the house. Ha ha...
So, as I try to mentally prepare for my PET/CT and MRI on Wednesday, I am thankful for everyone's support, good wishes and prayers. Knowing the team is behind me, cheering me on in my quest for good health bolsters my attitude and helps me press on in that direction. I will post again with the PET/CT and MRI results later this week when they are available. I'm counting on some good news to share. :)
I will keep my fingers crossed and I keep sending strong and positive thoghs... You know my goal for you: "A happy Julianne in July!"
ReplyDeleteYour family sounds so nice and I hope you are up for a quick visit from Arnt and me when we are in California this summer. We will be in your area 5 - 10 July, so if you feel up for a visit you have to send me a mail.
Anyway, keep up the good attitude you have! You will win this!!! And it is soon only a memory. Love from Ida